We are going to place our Cornish hens in a flavorful marinade to make this baked Cornish hen recipe. This will fill them with flavor and also allow the hens to stay moist and tender when you cook them.
Cornish hens are inexpensive and elegant. They are also easy to cook. Naturally, because they are so much smaller, they cook faster than whole chickens. However, it is easy to over cook them so you have to be vigilant of that.
Cornish hens are fun to make and eat. Sometimes I will even make them for special celebrations. You can stuff these as well.
Here is what you need for this splendid baked Cornish hen recipe:
4 Cornish hens
1 tbs. coarsely chopped cilantro
3 scallions, white and green parts chopped
5 garlic cloves, smashed
½ cup Balsamic vinegar
1 cup olive oil
½ cup dry sherry
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. dried oregano
3 tbs. butter
½ a large lemon
Salt & Pepper
- Rinse and pat dry the hens.
- Place hens in a deep container.
- Using a whisk, mix the vinegar, oil, sherry, scallions, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and cumin in a bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the hens. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, moving hens around occasionally so they all marinade well.
- Melt the butter and season with salt and pepper. Add the juice of the lemon.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove the hens from the marinade and place on a roasting rack in a roasting pan, breast side down.
- Brush baste on hens every 15 minutes.
- Flip hens over after 30 minutes and repeat the basting.
- Turn the oven broiler on and broil each side for 5 to 7 minutes being very careful not to burn the hens. Broil until browned.