Of all the stews out there green bean stew is by far my favorite. It is made with meat, green beans and other veggies and then cooked in tomato based liquid. It is fantastic with turmeric rice.
I learned this recipe from my ex-mother-in-law who was Arabic. It is one of the exquisite things that I was blessed to learn from her.
Here is what you are going to need for this delicious and healthy green bean stew:
¾ lb. roast chuck, finely cubed
¾ lb. green beans, stringed and cut into 2 inch pieces
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
¼ cup chopped bell peppers
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
4 cups beef broth
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
Salt & Pepper
1. Heat a heavy pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the beef and cook for a couple minutes. Add the chopped onions and mix well. Cook for another couple of minutes. Add the garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until beef is browned.
2. Add the thyme, oregano and parsley. Mix well. Add the peppers and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the carrots and green beans. Mix well. Cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add the tomato paste and the stock. Season with black pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer softly for 20 minutes.
5. Add the potatoes and cook for another 20 minutes.
6. Serve with rice.
Stew no rice – CALORIES 212.12; FAT 9.44 grs (sat 3.33; mono 5.03; poly 1.02); PROTEIN 16.92 grs ; FIBER 2.41 grs; CARBS 16.58 grs; CHOLESTEROL 39.12 mg; IRON 3.65 mg; SODIUM 836.68 mg; CALCIUM 82.01 mg