This easy Mexican rice recipe will render you a very flavorful rice to serve with your favorite Mexican meal. We will use tomato sauce in this for convenience. Tomato sauce is in itself a liquid. This is not tomato ketchup or tomato paste. It is tomato sauce or puree. The liquid will complete the water or chicken stock to make a 2 cups liquid per 1 cup rice ratio.
Mexican rice is commonly known as Spanish rice. I do not know why this is as Spanish rice is short grained and Mexican rice is not.
I have another Mexican rice recipe that is made from roasted tomatoes if you prefer to make it that way. You will be pleased with either one.
If you would prefer you can use chicken or vegetable stock for this instead of water. Remember that stock has salt in it so don’t add any extra.
Here is what you need to do for this delicious and easy Mexican rice recipe:
Serves four to six
• Heat some olive oil in a pan.
• Add 2 TBS finely chopped yellow onion, ½ T minced jalapeno and 1 minced garlic clove.
• Add 2 cups long grain rice. Brown the rice, stirring constantly, until rice is lightly browned .
• Add ½ cup tomato sauce (which is a liquid).
• Add 3 ½ cups water and 1 teaspoon salt (or chicken stock no added salt).
• Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
• Fluff with fork.
• Serve and enjoy!