Shrimp Alfredo is exquisite — juicy shrimp in a cheese sauce serves with pasta. It is an elegant meal that is quite easy to make.
An Alfredo sauce is a cream based sauce made with cheese. Some people make it by adding cheese to a Bechamel sauce. I do not like that particular method. I prefer to make mine with cream, cheese and butter. This is not health food and not something you would eat everyday but once in a while it is a great treat to enjoy.
My biggest recommendation when you are cooking shrimp is that you make sure you are using deveined shrimp. This means the black vein that is on the shrimp’s back has been removed. This is the intestine and it is gritty and does not taste well at all.
We are going to add asparagus and mushrooms to this recipe but feel free to substitute the veggies for other things like bell peppers, corn or broccoli.
You can substitute the cream in this recipe for half and half in order to save yourself some calories.
Here is what you are going to need for this fantastic shrimp Alfredo recipe:
12 oz. Angel hair or Fettuccini pasta
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
¾ cup asparagus, sliced into 3 inch pieces
6 large mushrooms, sliced
½ cup white wine
3 large garlic cloves
3 scallions, white and light green parts chopped
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 ½ cups shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
½ teaspoon white pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt & pepper
FOR THE SAUCE:
1. Melt the 1/3 cup butter in a heavy pan. Add the milk and whisk well. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes until reduced by 1/3 cup.
2. Add the Parmesan cheese and mix well.
3. Add the pepper, cayenne and parsley. Bring back to a simmer, constantly stirring until the cheese melts and the sauce is smooth.
FOR THE PASTA:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook per package instructions.
2. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pan. Add some olive oil and mix well.
3. Add the scallions, garlic, asparagus and mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the shrimp and wine. Cook for approximately 4 minutes, or until shrimp turns pink and is cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the Alfredo sauce to the pan. Mix well until liquids blend. Add the pasta stir until pasta is coated with sauce. Serve.
CALORIES 516.39; FAT 30.05 grs (sat 16.61; mono 9.00; poly 2.29); PROTEIN 27.48 grs ; FIBER 3.67 grs; CARBS 32.48 grs; CHOLESTEROL 174.68 mg; IRON 4.26 mg; SODIUM 526.93 mg; CALCIUM 271.51 mg