This German chocolate cake recipe takes a lot of work but is absolutely worth it. You will end up with a fabulous, melt-in-your-mouth burst of flavor.
There are many different flavors in this German chocolate cake recipe — semisweet chocolate with gooey-chewy coconut filling and topping. All of this enveloped in a smooth and delectable chocolate ganache.
Although its name suggests it, this cake is not German at all. It was created by a Mr. German in the USA and hence the name. This is an award-winning beautiful cake.
This is what you are going to need for this glorious German chocolate cake recipe:
Start by making the filling:
1 -14 oz. can condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¼ stick butter
4 egg yolks
2 cups shredded coconut
1 heaping cup chopped pecans
• Place the milk in a pan and add the vanilla and butter. Heat, stirring often.
• Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl.
• Slowly incorporate the hot milk into the yolks, a tablespoon at a time to prevent yolks from coagulating.
• Whisk in the tempered yolks into the remaining hot milk. Whisk constantly for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
• Remove from heat and add coconut and pecans.
• Set aside.
For the cake:
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
6 TBS water
4 eggs – separated
1¼ cup sugar plus ¼ cup for the egg whites
1 cup buttermilk – room temp
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Butter and line 2- 9 inch cake pans with parchment paper.
• Beat the egg whites until soft peaks begin to form. Add ¼ cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
• Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
• Melt the 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate with the 6 TBS water. You can do it either in the microwave or on a double boiler.
• Cream the butter and 1 ¼ cup sugar in a bowl. Add the melted chocolate and mix well.
• Add the egg yolks, one at a time, and beat well. Add the vanilla and beat well.
• Alternate the dry ingredients and the buttermilk, making sure everything is incorporated. Fold in the beaten egg whites.
• Bake cake between 35 and 45 minutes.
• Remove cakes from oven and cool on a rack. Peel off the parchment paper.
Make the icing:
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate
½ TBS butter
1 cup heavy cream
• Heat cream until almost boiling.
• Place the chocolate and the butter in a bowl. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and allow sitting for 1 minute.
• Mix chocolate well until you have smooth chocolate icing.
Assemble the cake:
- Place one of the cakes on a plate. Add about ¾ of the filling and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Cover it with the second cake.
- Smear the remaining filling on the top of the cake.
- Ice the sides of the cake with the chocolate icing.
- Serve and enjoy!