This casserole was one of our favorite ‘specials’ when we owned the deli. It is easy to make and loaded with flavor. It is also a great meal to make on a budget! Here is what you will need for this:
1 ½ pounds ground beef
2 – 15 oz. cans creamed corn
4 large Russet potatoes
2 Tbs. chopped parsley
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. oregano
1 cup cream
Salt & Pepper
• Preheat oven to 351 degrees.
• Peel and dice the potatoes. Cook in salted water for 20 minutes or until completely cooked.
• Place the ground beef in a large skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Brown and drain. Set aside.
• Wipe the skillet with a paper towel. Coat with olive oil and add the onions. Cook, stirring, until
soft and translucent – about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Return the
meat to the skillet and mix well. Add the thyme, oregano and parsley. Re-season with salt and
pepper. Cook for ten minutes.
• Mash the potatoes with the cream, some butter and salt and pepper.
• Place the meat in a casserole dish. Cover with the cream corn.
• Layer the mashed potatoes on top. Place 4 small dabs of butter on the potatoes. Sprinkle some
paprika on top.
• Bake for 30 minutes, covered. Uncover and bake for an extra 5 minutes until top is browed.